Relation Between Night Eating Syndrome and Academic Grades Among University Students
Üniversite Öğrencilerinde Gece Yeme Sendromu ve Akademik Derece Arasındaki İlişki
Received Date : 29 Sep 2018
Accepted Date : 03 Mar 2019
Doi: 10.25179/tjem.2018-63015 - Makale Dili: EN
Turk J Endocrinol Metab 2019;23:85-91
Objective: Night eating syndrome refers to a condition, characterized by night hyperphagia and nocturnal ingestions that are often accompanied by an altered sleep and mood pattern. It is very common among students, who become prone to night eating syndrome owing to sleep deprivation and nocturnal eating habits. Adherence to such behavior increases the chances of poor higher mental function and an altered circadian rhythm, eventually resulting in compromised learning and academic failures. The present study intended to explore the relationship between night eating syndrome, grade point average, age, and body mass index of students attending college. Material and Methods: The present study was based on a cross-sectional correlation design to find a correlation between night eating syndrome and academic achievement among students studying in the College of Applied Medical Sciences. Students who participated in the study were asked to complete a paper-based Night Eating Syndrome Diagnostic Questionnaire. The participants were categorized into four groups, namely, non-night eating syndrome, mild-night eating syndrome, moderate-night eating syndrome, and fullnight eating syndrome based on the scores they received in the questionnaire. The registration department of the University provided the grade point average to the students at the end of the academic semester. Results: The questionnaire results categorized 86 students (35.7%) into mild night eating syndrome, 32 (13.3%) into moderate night eating syndrome, and 23 (9.5%) into full night eating syndrome. An increase in the body mass index was found to be associated with night eating syndrome, with an odds ratio of 1.113 (95% confidence interval, 1.071-1.156), Wald χ2 (1)=29.918, p<0.001. A decrease in the grade point average was associated with night eating syndrome, with an odds ratio of 2.1876 (95% confidence interval, 1.765-3.886), Wald χ2 (1)=33.318,
p<0.001. Conclusion: The present study concluded that night eating syndrome exerts detrimental effects on the academic performance of university students.
Keywords: Night eating syndrome; grade point average; body mass index; eating disorder
Amaç: Gece yeme sendromu, genellikle ruh hâli ve uyku paterninde değişikliğin eşlik ettiği gece hiperfajisi ve gece beslenmeleri ile karakterize bir durumu ifade eder. Uyku yoksunluğu ve gece yeme alışkanlıkları nedeni ile gece yeme sendromuna yatkın hâle gelen öğrenciler arasında çok yaygındır. Bu tür davranışların sürekliliği, yüksek zihinsel işlevlerde zayıflık ve sirkadiyen ritimde değişiklik riskini artırır ve sonunda öğrenmede baskılanmaya ve akademik başarısızlıklara neden olur. Bu çalışmada, üniversiteye giden öğrencilerde gece yeme sendromu, not ortalaması, yaş ve beden kitle indeksi arasındaki ilişkinin incelenmesi amaçlamıştır. Gereç ve Yöntemler: Bu çalışmada, Uygulamalı Tıp Bilimleri Üniversitesinde okuyan öğrencilerin akademik başarısı ve gece yeme sendromu arasında bir korelasyon bulmak için kesitsel korelasyon tasarımı kullanılmıştır. Çalışmaya katılan öğrencilerden, basılı hâldeki Gece Yeme Sendromu Tanı Anketi’ni doldurmaları istenmiştir. Katılımcılar ankette aldıkları puanlara göre non-gece yeme sendromu, hafif gece yeme sendromu, orta gece yeme sendromu ve tam gece yeme sendromu olmak üzere dört gruba ayrılmıştır. Üniversitenin kayıt bölümü, akademik dönem sonunda öğrencilere not ortalaması vermiştir. Bulgular: Anket sonuçları 86 (%35,7) öğrenciyi hafif gece yeme sendromu, 32 (%13,3) öğrenciyi orta gece yeme sendromu ve 23 (%9,5) öğrenciyi tam gece yeme sendromu olarak kategorize etmiştir. Beden kitle indeksindeki artış gece yeme sendromu ile ilişkili bulunmuştur [odds oranı=1,113 (%95 güven aralığı, 1,071-1,156), Wald χ2 (1)=29.918, p<0,001]. Not ortalamalarındaki azalma gece yeme sendromu ile ilişkili bulunmuştur [Odds oranı=2,1876 (%95 güven aralığı, 1,765-3,886), Wald χ2 (1)=33.318, p<0,001]. Sonuç: Bu çalışmada, gece yeme sendromunun üniversite öğrencilerinin akademik performansı üzerinde zararlı etkileri olduğu sonucuna varılmıştır.
Anahtar Kelimeler: Gece yeme sendromu; not ortalaması; beden kitle indeksi; yeme bozukluğu
- Allison KC, Grilo CM, Masheb RM, Stunkard AJ. Binge eating disorder and night eating syndrome: a comparative study of disordered eating. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2005;73:1107-1115. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Brownell KD, Walsh BT. Eating Disorders and Obesity: A Comprehensive Handbook (3rd ed). New York: Guilford Publications; 2017:690.
- Runfola CD, Allison KC, Hardy KK, Lock J, Peebles R. Prevalence and clinical significance of night eating syndrome in university students. J Adolesc Health. 2014;55:41-48. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Naji E, Kashoo FZ, Kashoo M. Prevalence of obesity and overweight among majmaah university students. Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2013;7:41. [Crossref]
- Gluck ME, Geliebter A, Satov T. Night eating syndrome is associated with depression, low self-esteem, reduced daytime hunger, and less weight loss in obese outpatients. Obes Res. 2001;9:264-267. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- McCuen-Wurst C, Ruggieri M, Allison KC. Disordered eating and obesity: associations between binge-eating disorder, night-eating syndrome, and weight-related comorbidities. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2018;1411: 96-105. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Meule A, Allison KC, Platte P. Emotional eating moderates the relationship of night eating with binge eating and body mass. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2014;22:147-151. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Allison KC, Lundgren JD, O’Reardon JP, Geliebter A, Gluck ME, Vinai P, Mitchell JE, Schenck CH, Howell MJ, Crow SJ, Engel S, Latzer Y, Tzischinsky O, Mahowald MW, Stunkard AJ. Proposed diagnostic criteria for night eating syndrome. Int J Eat Disord. 2010;43:241-247. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Bovin MJ, Marx BP, Weathers FW, Gallagher MW, Rodriguez P, Schnurr PP, Keane TM. Psychometric properties of the PTSD checklist for diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders-fifth edition (PCL-5) in veterans. Psychol Assess 28:1379-1391. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Hay P, Girosi F, Mond J. Prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of DSM-5 eating disorders in the Australian population. J Eat Disord. 2015;3:19. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Khan A, AlRshidi BA, AlRshidi IA, Elmosaad YM, Jaber M. Prevalence and determinants of obesity among male secondary schools students in Al Bukhiriyah, Qassim region, Saudi Arabia. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2017;4:4426-4430. [Crossref]
- Yahia N, Brown C, Potter S, Szymanski H, Smith K, Pringle L, Herman C, Uribe M, Fu Z, Chung M, Geliebter A. Night eating syndrome and its association with weight status, physical activity, eating habits, smoking status, and sleep patterns among college students. Eat Weight Disord. 2017;22:421433. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Alfarhan FA, Matrouk M Al, AlGaowba H, AlHamely R, Tork HM. Association between sleep pattern and body mass index among undergraduate health colleges’ students at Qassim University, Saudi Arabia. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2018;8:86. [Crossref]
- Alqahtani MM, Kashoo FZ, Ahmad F. Current scenario of evidence-based practice and rationale of preferred approach in stroke rehabilitation among physiotherapists in Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional survey. Saudi J Heal Sci. 2018;7:53.
- Sevincer GM, Ince E, Taymur I, Konuk N. Night eating syndrome frequency in university students: association with impulsivity, depression, and anxiety. Bulletin Clin Psychopharmacol. 2016;26:238-247. [Crossref]
- Dorflinger LM, Ruser CB, Masheb RM. Night eating among veterans with obesity. Appetite. 2017;117: 330-334. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Öner C, Günay N, Telatar B, Yeşildağ Ş. Night eating syndrome in young adolescents: frequency and significance. Age (Omaha). 2018;16:17-20. [Crossref]
- Olejniczak D, Bugajec D, Staniszewska A, Panczyk M, Kielan A, Czerw A, Mańczuk M, Juszczyk G, Skonieczna J, Bryek-Matera A. Risk assessment of night-eating syndrome occurrence in women in Poland, considering the obesity factor in particular. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2018;14:1521-1526. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Nolan LJ, Geliebter A. Validation of the night eating diagnostic questionnaire (NEDQ) and its relationship with depression, sleep quality, “food addiction”, and body mass index. Appetite. 2017;111:86-95. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Elsadek AM, Hamid MS, Allison KC. Psychometric characteristics of the Night Eating Questionnaire in a Middle East population. Int J Eat Disord. 2014;47:660-665. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Rand CS, Macgregor AM, Stunkard AJ. The night eating syndrome in the general population and among postoperative obesity surgery patients. Int J Eat Disord. 1997;22:65-69. [Crossref]
- Pyle RL, Neuman PA, Halvorson PA, Mitchell JE. An ongoing cross-sectional study of the prevalence of eating disorders in freshman college students. Int J Eat Disord. 1991;10:667-677. [Crossref]
- Quick V, Shoff S, Lohse B, White A, Horacek T, Greene G. Relationships of eating competence, sleep behaviors and quality, and overweight status among college students. Eat Behav. 2015;19:1519. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Kashoo FZ, Dhawan L. Agreement between timed up and go test and tinetti assessment scale in institutionalized elderly. Indian J. 2010;4:227.
- Kanwar S, Kashoo FZ. Comparing the immediate effect of auditory and visual mental imagery on reaching and grasping task among sub acute stroke patients. Indian J. 2011;5:155-159.
- Roenneberg T, Allebrandt KV, Merrow M, Vetter C. Social jetlag and obesity. Curr Biol. 2012;22:939943. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Knutson KL, Van Cauter E. Associations between sleep loss and increased risk of obesity and diabetes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1129:287-304. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Curcio G, Ferrara M, De Gennaro L. Sleep loss, learning capacity and academic performance. Sleep Med Rev. 2006;10:323-337. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Ausubel DP. The Acquisition and Retention of Knowledge: A Cognitive View (1st et). Dordrecht: Springer Science & Business Media; 2012;212.
- Vander Wal JS. Night eating syndrome: a critical review of the literature. Clin Psychol Rev. 2012;32:49-59. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Colles SL, Dixon JB, O’Brien PE. Night eating syndrome and nocturnal snacking: association with obesity, binge eating and psychological distress. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007;31:1722-1730. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Marshall HM, Allison KC, O’Reardon JP, Birketvedt G, Stunkard AJ. Night eating syndrome among nonobese persons. Int J Eat Disord. 2004;35:217222. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Fairburn CG, Harrison PJ. Eating disorders. Lancet. 2003;361:407-416. [Crossref]
- Shaphe A, Ahmad I, Kashoo FZ. Effect of aerobic exercises on blood pressure in mild and moderate hypertensive middle aged and older patients. Majmaah J Heal Sci. 2013;216:1-14. [Crossref]
- Faith MS, Matz PE, Jorge MA. Obesity-depression associations in the population. J Psychosom Res. 2002;53:935-942. [Crossref]
- Kashoo F, Baradie R. Motorized multidirectional protuberance device for sitting balance of stroke patients. Int J Stroke. 2015;89.
- Marti A, Moreno-Aliaga MJ, Hebebrand J, Martínez JA. Genes, lifestyles and obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28:S29-36. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Smink FR, van Hoeken D, Oldehinkel AJ, Hoek HW. Prevalence and severity of DSM-5 eating disorders in a community cohort of adolescents. Int J Eat Dis ord. 2014;47:610-619. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Stunkard A, Berkowitz R, Wadden T, Tanrikut C, Reiss E, Young L. Binge eating disorder and the ing syndrome. Int J Obes Relat MetabDosrd. 1996;20:1-6.