ISSN: 1301-2193 E-ISSN: 1308-9846
  • Turkish Journal of
    Endocrinology and Metabolism
ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Management of Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinomas: Our Clinical Experience - Original Article
Papiller Tiroid Mikrokarsinomlarının Tedavisi: Klinik Deneyimimiz
Makale Dili: EN
ABSTRACT

Summary

The prevalence of papillary thyroid microcarcinomas (PTMC) appears to be increasing in recent years. However, there are some controversies for the management of PTMCs. The present study is an evaluation of sixty two patients with PTMC in our center. Total or near-total thyroidectomy was performed in 49 (79%) and subtotal thyroidectomy in the rest (21%) of the patients. Nodal involvement of PTMC was identified in 2 (3%) patients, and distant metastases has not been detected in any patient. The tumors were multifocal in 9 (14%) of the patients. Although the survival is very good in these cancers, recurrences may occur. Therefore, the follow-up of PTMC should be made carefully in a multidisciplinary approach.
Keywords: Thyroid, papillary microcarcinoma, treatment, Tiroid, papiller mikrokarsinoma, tedavi

ÖZET

Summary

The prevalence of papillary thyroid microcarcinomas (PTMC) appears to be increasing in recent years. However, there are some controversies for the management of PTMCs. The present study is an evaluation of sixty two patients with PTMC in our center. Total or near-total thyroidectomy was performed in 49 (79%) and subtotal thyroidectomy in the rest (21%) of the patients. Nodal involvement of PTMC was identified in 2 (3%) patients, and distant metastases has not been detected in any patient. The tumors were multifocal in 9 (14%) of the patients. Although the survival is very good in these cancers, recurrences may occur. Therefore, the follow-up of PTMC should be made carefully in a multidisciplinary approach.
Keywords: Thyroid, papillary microcarcinoma, treatment, Tiroid, papiller mikrokarsinoma, tedavi